Sunday, November 1, 2009

SERA Gobbler Getter


November 1, 2009




Maplesville, AL






The SERA Enduro series rolled into the historic Reynolds Pasture for the 10th and final round of the 2009 series. Coming into the final round I had already wrapped up the 250 B Championship and was in a good position to win the Overall B Championship. The first day of November brought cool temperatures and overcast skies to the central Alabama area. I was placed on row 37 with fellow KTM support rider Carston Cagle, and I was really excited about this race after wrapping up my Overall C Championship here in 2006 as well. I just hoped some of that luck would be here again for me.

The race began with a 14 mile test section right off the start. I felt decent but, it took me a while to get into a groove in the sandy and rooty Alabama terrain. This section was pretty flowing and fast with a combination of hare scramble trails and some single track. I made it out of the section with a decent score and nothing broken so I was happy. The second section was more of what the Gobbler Getter is known for,fun and tight flowing trail. I was getting faster now as I settled down and found a rhythm. Near the end of the section I was decending a hill and suddenly found myself getting acquainted with a tree. When I got up and took off I realized I had no rear brakes. Luckily I was only 2 miles from the end of that section.



Luckily my parents were at the restart, so I rode down to the van and threw the bike up on the stand. My dad immediately went to work on swapping out the rear brake system. He was given some help from friend and Husaberg support rider John Wiser. They got it all swapped out and I was going again with only a minute and a half to go.

After all the rush, I got tensed up and it took me a while to get going in the third section. But I finally got moving and set a good pace to finish off the tight and twisty section. We had a short reset between the third and fourth section. The fourth section was really fun with a lot of elevation changes. I finished really excited and feeling like I was riding a very good pace. I saw my parents again after that section so I was able to get a quick bite of food and something to drink.

I began the fifth section feeling really well. Less than a mile in I went to make a pass on another rider and found myself buried in a mud hole. I realized the club had placed metal grating in this soft area but I missed it. After almost 10 minutes of tugging and pulling I got my bike unstuck. I remounted and tried to make up time only to get stuck again. By the time I finished the section I was late for the next check in. I was informed that Hunter Walters had dropped out so I decided to quit also. He was the only rider capable of overtaking me in the overall.


What started out as a great ride had turned to disaster. After racing for years you learn that not every race will turn out the way you plan. You also learn that championships aren’t won in a single race. Thankfully I had put together a solid season so that this bad race didn't ruin my championship. I still finished 2nd in 250 B and 10th Overall B for the day.

The 2009 SERA Enduro series has been a really awesome season for me. I feel that I have learned a lot and that my speed is increasing. I ended up winning the 2009 Overall B Championship, 2009 250 B Championship, and finishing 18th Overall. I could of never done this without the amazing support of such great friends, family, amazing girlfriend and sponsors.

I'd like to thank these great sponsors: KTM, KTM Powerwear, KTM Powerwear, Rekluse, Ride PG.com, Clockwork KTM, Cycra, Shock Doctor, Motorex, Trace Bikes, and FAHQ/Black Rainbow.

No comments:

Post a Comment